Citrus fruits are refreshing, light and a delicious seasonal snack! But if grapefruits are not already included in your diet, it’s time to make some room as they can pack in some pretty powerful health benefits! Check out the top five reasons why you should be loving grapefruits:
1. Cure colds – Grapefruits are great for lifting your immune system, they contain a large amount of Vitamin C so they are useful in reducing symptoms and shortening the duration of a cold.
2. Boosts metabolism – the tasty fruit is said to aid in fat burning and stabilizing blood-sugar and insulin levels, helping you to lose the pounds and beat the hunger cravings!
3. Liver cleanser – if you have had a big weekend of drinking, grapefruits will be your lifesaver! They help to cleanse the body of unhealthy toxins, which can also help with chronic conditions such as depression, stiff muscles and chronic headaches.
4. Reduces stress – studies have shown that even just smelling a grapefruit can make a difference to your stress and anxiety levels! It is believed that the fragrance assists in the well-being of the mind, body and spirit.
5. Fights gum disease – a number of strong studies have shown that grapefruits can significantly aid those who are suffering from bleeding gums. The fruit increases blood levels of vitamin C which promotes healing and repairing of the gums.