Most of us have succumbed to a bad habit at some point in our lives, but it’s learning to break the habit that is the tricky part! Whether you can’t stop snacking on sugary sweets, your daily routine includes smoking cigarettes, you’re addicted to coffee or you can’t stop spending, we have some tips to help you overcome these habits and live a healthy, strong and happy life!
1. Acknowledge and understand – the first step in beating a bad habit is to acknowledge that it is taking place and to understand why it is that you do it. Sometimes we don’t even realise that we repeat bad habits, so once you become aware, it will be easier to make a conscious effort to change!
2. Make small changes – it will be easier to break the habit if you go slowly and make small changes, one step at a time. If you try and cut something out altogether straight away it will only cause you to crave it more and chances are you will return to your old ways in no time. So instead, gradually make the effort to change. For example if you eat too many sugary treats, at first just reduce the amount that you eat each day and try and substitute it with other healthier alternatives.
3. Break out of the same routine – sometimes habits stick when you become stuck in the same routine; if you are used to taking a cigarette break at 11am every morning with your work colleagues, you become accustomed to that way of life without questioning it. So try and change your environment and routine as much as you can. Instead of taking that mid morning break from work to have a smoke, try taking a 5 minute walk out of the office to grab some fresh air and sunshine.
4. Join forces with somebody – as the saying goes “a problem shared is a problem halved,” so try and join up with someone that is also trying to break the same (or a similar) habit. This will help keep you motivated and it will allow you to share your experiences with someone that is going through the same thing.
5. Plan for failure – it is impossible to be perfect 100% of the time, so expect to fail and feel unmotivated at times, you are only human after all! Just make sure that you are ready and willing to get back on track!